Rock Hunting in Rockport (May 7th 2011)


One site I've been going to since I started rock hunting is Rockport, located between Dorchester and Sackville, New Brunswick. The more I go the more interesting things I find. Slacks Cove is full of places you can stumble upon cool rocks, fossils, or dead animals such as a half eaten seal.. burk!

Reaching Dorchester the road splits between 106 (towards Sackville) and the 935 towards Dorchester Cape. I take the 935 south and drive a few minutes until the paved road turns into a dirt road. A few hundred meters from where the road changed I stop my car and park it on the side of the road where the old road cuts into a new one the government constructed last year.


Red sandstone cliffs at Dorchester Cape
I've stopped a few times but didn't had the chance to check these red cliffs. I've spotted some fossil plants but very sparse. There's also a lot of big boulder-size conglomerate rocks all over the place, standing out amidst the red silt.


Beach wood debris on the beachWhat I had to cross to get to the beach.


Lonely rock at low tide on the Bay of Fundy's chocolate riverThe tide at its lowest point. Usually this boulder is under water at high tide.


Conglomerate boulder on the beach at Dorchester CapeThis is the type of conglomerate that you'll see in Dorchester Cape.


I didn't stay too long as I knew that my time was limited to a few short hours before the tides came up. I hopped in my Rabbit and continued on down the dusty road. As you continue pass Shepody Bay and south on Route 935, you'll reach Johnson's Mills. The road takes a sharp left turn to lead to Upper Rockport. Take the south road.


Mud-dried dirt road heading towards Upper Rockport

When you reach Rockport, continue until you reach Slacks Cove (N45 43.564 W64 31.593). The roads at some places get really tricky to navigate, especially when you drive a Volkswagen Rabbit like me.


Keenan Richard getting ready to go rock huntingGetting my arse ready to go rock hunting!


Here's a small vid that I took before climbing down the cliffs. The tide is this time had passed its lowest point. The weather wasn't too bad even with the nasty blue and grey clouds. There was a few rain drops but not enough to melt me. You can hear the stream in the background.





View of cliffs on East side of Slacks Cove

The area I'm trying to focus during this visit is the eastern part of the cove. The further I venture out of the cove east/south-east, the more the cliffs reveal their fossil content. The previous times I came I'd check the cliffs inside the cove, but realized that they're somewhat sheltered, seeing barely any erosive activity. This proved my point when the further I'd walk south, the more the cliffs would reveal to me. Getting there is a bit tricky and dangerous as I'd try to cross a stream with rocks covered in that muddy silt and green slime.


Rushing water down cliff at Slacks Cove's beachNice to look at, but dangerous to cross. Slippery when wet!


Fossil plants on the beach at RockportLoads and loads of plant fossils.


Fossil plant material on the beach at Slacks Cove

Hold plant fossil fragment

Mudstone, shale, coal and sandstone strataMudstone, shale, coal, sandstone.


Calamites beside multiple layers of coal in RockportSeems of coal with fossils in the mix. Typical from the cliffs I've seen so far.


Coal on sandstone matrix with plant fossilCoal attached to rock and...


Coal on plant fossil attached to sandstone matrix...coal stuck on a piece of fossil. Some places the lines get mixed and you can barely tell.


Beautiful calamite plant fossil from RockportBeautiful details from that Calamite specimen.


Tide coming up in Slacks Cove

The tides were getting up to a dangerous so I had to turn and make my way back. I will have to come back to get a closer look at those cliffs, hard hat a must at that too. The site has a lot of potential and it is not surprising: across the Bay of Fundy are the Joggins Fossil Cliffs.

Till next time!



Disclaimer: In New Brunswick under the 'Heritage Conservation Act', fossils discovered must not be destroyed or removed from sites where they are found without a permit. It is every one's civic duty to report any finds to the New Brunswick Museum (https://www.nbm-mnb.ca/). This encourages the contribution these finds could make to science not just in the province, but on the global stage. You must also seek permission if you are to enter private land.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Martin Head (Southern New Brunswick)

Amethyst Cove (Blomidon, Nova Scotia)

Rock Hunting in Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada)