Fern Ledges (Saint John, New Brunswick)

I've been doing research on important geological and fossil sites in the Maritimes. I've come across some information about an old site once frequented by Sir John William Dawson and Charles Lyell. From what I've learned thus far, the fossils contained in the rocks at that location yield flora from the Carboniferous period (there was a lot of debate about dating this formation: Devonian vs. Carboniferous).

My travels that day took me to sunny Saint John, New Brunswick. Fern Ledges is just one of numerous sites of geological significance in the Saint John area.


View from Duck Cove.


Small island where seals were bathing in the Sun.



This was my view of the rock formation I was there to investigate. It was late in the afternoon when I got there so I didn't get the chance to walk around much, but what I saw made me want to come check it out again very soon.


From Duck Cove and Fern Ledges back at the turn of the 20th century.


Stay tuned!



Disclaimer: In New Brunswick under the 'Heritage Conservation Act', fossils discovered must not be destroyed or removed from sites where they are found without a permit. It is every one's civic duty to report any finds to the New Brunswick Museum (https://www.nbm-mnb.ca/). This encourages the contribution these finds could make to science not just in the province, but on the global stage. You must also seek permission if you are to enter private land.

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Martin Head (Southern New Brunswick)

Amethyst Cove (Blomidon, Nova Scotia)

Rock Hunting in Halifax (Nova Scotia, Canada)